Saturday, January 16, 2010

Inspiring and confusing...

So since my last post, I've started reading "Just Do Something" by Kevin DeYoung which is a book on following God's will (without dreams, fleeces, open doors, random bible verses, casting lots, writings in the sky.. etc). While reading it, I came across 1 John 2:15-17 which was mentioned in the 2nd chapter on the different types of God's will mentioned in the bible. It reads:

" 15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world— the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. 17And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever." ESV

This verse really spoke to me (and no, I'm not claiming the book on God's will was "speaking" to me about my issue). I liked what it had to say and it is very true. You can't love both the world and God. So I was thinking..."Hm... I REALLY love the desires of my flesh and eyes and I do have pride in what I own....so does that mean I don't love God?" That question has haunted me the last couple of days.

Then I was thinking about how I say "I love _______" to everything I like (sometimes things I like a LOT). I love lizards came to mind. I always say I love all the little lizards in Miami. I also love cute small things (like mini animals, dolls, you know, the girly stuff). What the heck? Do I really love these things? Or do I just like them a lot? And for that matter...why do I use the same word for God as I do a lizard or something material?

Wishing I could figure this conundrum out,
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. keep in mind that there are several different types of love. for instance, in the ancient greek that the new testament was originally written in, there are several different words that translate to "love" but have different connotations. agape love is more of a general affection, philia love is a brotherly love, eros love is passionate love, storge love is the kind of love that parents have for children and thelema love is a desire or a will. i don't think it's necessarily wrong to "love" things in this world, but it is very easy to fall into the pattern of saying you "love" so many things that the meaning of the word is dminished. also, i don't think your love of lizards is the same as your love of god. :)

    ReplyDelete