Friday, January 8, 2010

Bored... with television

Day 1.5 has been fine. However, it has been boring not looking at random crap online. I did not block anything though because I really want to see if I can resist it. Plus, I don't know how to block particular websites. Or maybe, I don't do it because secretly I want to have them there just in case... or... Okay now I am putting too much thought in to it.

The day has been very uneventful so I found myself watching random THS specials on E!. For those who don't know what E! has to offer... this means I spent most of my day watching beautiful celebrities and lots and lots of ads for commercials. Wasn't that tempting, just made me realize how many ads I view per day (or a non-average-bored-on-Christmas-break-day). It seems we spend a lot of time viewing/hearing ads for clothes, perfumes (very disgusting noises for those commercials), and infomercials (especially Proactive and Shamwow!). The one reason I like Disney Channel is because they don't have commercials for anything besides their other shows. I guess that's so because Disney can own everything. Even the commercials.

(Stole this from Corey but..) 1 Tim 6:8 states "But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." I read this on his page like a week ago and it fell right in line with how I was feeling about everything; everything being shopping and things like that. I know of a couple of bible verses about spending money and things like that. Does anyone have any good stories of God showing you how to deal with your money or have any good bible verses about money or being provided for? I'd love to hear them.

Ready to be in sunny Florida,
Melissa

3 comments:

  1. Very proud of you for confronting Satan's temptations head on and for humbly asking for help! I love watching you grow in Christ!

    First passage that came to mind is in Matthew where it commands you to "not store up treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy and where theives break in and steal..." Good perspective for us earthly "I want" beings!
    Matthew 6:19-24

    I also think that it is "ironic" that God lays out the "Do Not Worry" Section of Matthew immediately following this passage. Coincidence...I think not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda's reference and reading Genesis again for my Bible in Film class remind me of the song "Of Dust and Nations" by Thrice, which talks about the temporary nature of things here. It references Genesis 3:15, saying "pull the fangs from out your heel," referencing how the serpent is confined to striking at our heels. Satan will constantly try to trip you up from your goal, but remember in those times that material stuff won't last.

    Listen to the song if you have it and look up the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amanda and Corey for your comments. I'll check out those verses and I'm sure I have that song by Thrice.

    ReplyDelete