Sunday, January 24, 2010

Back in Miami

Walking around campus and in Miami has been interesting this past week. Just looking at what people are wearing and have has been an experience in itself.

Last night, I was on a retreat for Sugarcanes (UM's bat girls for the baseball team) in the middle of nowhere (aka Everglades area). After getting lost, we finally found a pizza place for dinner. My mind began to wonder in between eating and chatting with the girls. Mind you, a good majority of the people down here on campus are very well off. Honestly, I have never heard of a lot of the "really nice" brands that people wear down here, but apparently they are popular and in style. I was looking at what the waitresses were wearing and then looking back to what we were wearing. I don't think it's not that they don't care what they are wearing, but what they were doing. Many of the women were wearing "work wear" or things that would be sold at Wal-mart or K-mart or something. I started thinking about how even if they could afford to change what the wear, they probably wouldn't because it's probably not that important to them to fit into some type of culture or style. They are probably more concerned for their families and paying bills. So why is it so important to me? It makes me feel pretty selfish.

That's about it for this week.
I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment